USERS CURRENTLY ONLINE ON DISCORD

Become one of us today, click to join!

Expanding on Evin's Merpeople Idea

Does this sound like a good idea?

• Yes

• No

• Yes, but with some changes(please comment changes that you think should be made)

• No, and I told you why it's bad in the comments

Results are only viewable after voting.

LoriBlackButler

Helper
Alpha
Idea that I like.JPG

This was made with the help of AmyStampy33 and Evin.

Merpeople, a legendary race that are half-human and half-fish.
*I will say 'the sea' quite a bit but I just mean water. The sea just sounds cooler than 'water'*

This race is being built to mainly fit pvp types as there are not many ways to use pve in the water. Unless you are making an underwater base, but even then the pve doesn't work that well.

Buffs:
Like both werewolves and vampires, merpeople would have passive buffs that would probably be something along the lines of Night Vision I(could be togglable like vampires or something that is constant but only when in water), Depth Strider II or III, Water Breathing(like Undead vampires), and Aqua Affinity.

More buffs could be Strength I or II and Regen I or II. The Strength and Regen is something extra one can earn from surviving a certain amount of time. Once you have survived long enough and proved your worth to the The Greedy Sea God they will grant them extra power, but you can only use the power in the sea and it will fade away once they are on land because the Sea God has no power on land.

*Summary of Possible Passive Buffs*:
Night Vision I (could be togglable like vampires or something that is constant but only when in water)
Depth Strider II or III
Water Breathing(Like Undead vampires)
Aqua Affinity
*Sea God's Aid Buffs(only in water)*:
Regen I or II(Not sure which one)
Strength I or II(Not sure which one)

Debuffs:
Also like the other supernatural races they would have a passive debuff that helps balances out their power. One debuff that would make a lot of sense race wise is a sort of timer limiting how long they have on land until they start to shrivel up from dehydration and suffocate(right now it makes sense to me for it to be a 8 or 10 minute timer, like around how long extended potions are).

It may seem like a very strict debuff, but, like vamps in return they would get a series of amazing buffs when they are in the sea. Though unlike vampires they lose some of their buffs if they are on land.

Like vampires in the sun they would get a series of debuffs before starting to take damage and dying. Around the 8 or 10 minute mark It would most likely go: slowness, nausea, blindness, and then they would take damage like someone would if they were poisoned except it wouldn't stop after half a heart is left and it would just kill the player.

There is a way to combat this though, so you can still do things on land for an extended period of time. By drinking water and hydrating yourself regularly you can restart the timer.

Though if it's raining then no need to hydrate yourself as the rain will keep you hydrated.

Infection:
They would be blessed(or cursed depending on the way you see it) by The Greedy God of the Sea when they make a shrine to them and present the god with offerings. You would use the shrine by right clicking the gold block with your offerings to the Sea God in your inventory.

'Shrine of the Sea' Needs-
*Needs to be Underwater*
30 Coral Blocks
2 Diamond Blocks
5 Sea Lanterns
5 Sea Pickles
1 Gold Block

Needed 'Shrine of the Sea' Offerings-
20 Seagrass
20 Gold
10 Coral Fans(of any color)
1 Turtle Egg

Abilities(not sure what order they would unlock in):
The Greedy God of the Sea who appreciates your offerings to them and returns the favor by giving them fantastical abilities, though you must be in his domain(the water) to use them and your newfound dependence to the sea makes it harder to be on land for long periods of time.

*These will be given and available for use in the sea after you survive for a certian amount of time*
Sea God's Aid- Previously Mentioned Regen I or II and Strength I or II(Not sure which one for either)

Armored Scales- After surviving for awhile scales have started to grow on your body. They make you feel protected. Adds defense (something around 45%)

Siren's Song- induces nausea to all humans within a certain radius of the merperson(I feel like the Ghast Scream 2 or 4 would work well as the sound used or maybe one of the Phantom Swoop sounds)

Tides Calling- You use the water around you to propel yourself into the air(works like the Riptide enchant)

Sea I Escaped- A togglable ability that allows you to have Dolphins Grace on top of your current Depth Strider that will allow one to make a last minute escape.

Progression:
Somewhat like werewolves, you would progress by showing your support to The Sea God by being outside(not in your base) in his domain(the water) when the tides have risen to their highest point.

Preferably tides would happen at a different time than the full moon and, according to this article by the National Ocean Service, high tides don't happen when the moon is at it's highest (the full moon is when it's at its highest) anyways so it would be okay the change the times they happen.
A Maybe Idea:
This isn't a for sure thing just like an after thought that would be cool to add but not needed. When it rains the domain of The Sea God expands and you can now use your powers on land for this brief period of time.

*Sorry for any grammar mistakes there might be and please don't make a big deal out of them unless you can't understand something because of it*

Last edited:

AlphaBel

I love this idea if this were added I’d be one of the first because I don’t feel like being ww or vamp but don’t wanna be human either 🤷‍♀️

PinkP0tato

Beta
Alpha
Standard
I have a kind of idea to add on, so basically the merpeople would be able to progress, but as they progressed and got new abilities their time that they could spend out of water would decrease so like a beginner could spend say 8-10 minutes but a higher leveled merperson like an elder but for merpeople would only have like 2-3 minutes, just spitting out ideas to make the race a bit more fair. Edit: I also think maybe they should only be able to eat fish

Last edited:

V_id

I don’t agree with Pink. But instead of depth strider (since that needs boots to be worn, unless you can do that with commands) you could use dolphins grace.

Fredolator

This idea isn't a bad one, but it is an odd one. The trident was added in 1.13 as an aquatic weapon, which would be amazing for merfolk. However, tridents range from fairly rare to extremely rare and another underwater weapon, like a spear of some sort, would be needed to balance out the features of an atlantian society.

MrDutchie

Admin
Omega
Standard
In my opinion it is a great suggestion, I made one 3 years ago as well about merefolk, but also put in what would do extra harm to them, hunters items etc, so it can be fully implemented in our plugin if accepted.

WhiteFang

Helper
Omega
Standard
I love this idea, always have wanted something like this. For when in water vs on land would the skin change or would there be some sort of tail grown if possible? Such as ww's for example get a transformation, would this not be the case for merfolk or how would that work?

Fredolator

To be honest, I had trouble finding a weakness for merfolk besides being out of water, but I found one from the Zora race in The Legend of Zelda. When Link wears Zora armor in the Wii installment, he is weak to both fire attacks AND ice attacks.

Fredolator

So maybe the merfolk have to be in a particular climate as well as fire and ice attacks? Such as a warm ocean instead of a frozen one?

OpalescentHearts

It would make sense that people would hunt the merpeople like they do with vampires and werewolves so maybe a hunting system similar to the other one if not the hunting system in place just modified to add them to the list and the tools to fight them (Since their weak on land it would make sense for people to mainly hunt them on land while their at their weakest so maybe when their in water they can use something like a conduit to throw off one of those tracking compasses while in its range so people can't find them as easily)

WhiteFang

Helper
Omega
Standard
Going off what Opal said, with new supernaturals comes a new form of hunting so there would need to be a specialized tool (ex- stake/silver sword for others) for the merfolk to have a weakness. I was thinking something along the lines of a net to catch them in and harm them using that if able to catch them under water, and that the merfolk trackers would give conduit power to whomever is wielding it.

PinkP0tato

Beta
Alpha
Standard
Going off of Fang, I disagree with the conduit idea, as vampire hunters don't get anything for going into the water when hunting undead vampires, they get no extra abilities, same with werewolf hunters. The conduit effect could be abused as anyone could just start "tracking" someone when in reality they just need to cross an ocean quickly. I think the net is a great idea, but there shouldn't be any extra abilities that merfolk hunters get when vampire and werewolf hunters have to get all their water breathing on their own and such

WhiteFang

Helper
Omega
Standard
Going off of Fang, I disagree with the conduit idea, as vampire hunters don't get anything for going into the water when hunting undead vampires, they get no extra abilities, same with werewolf hunters. The conduit effect could be abused as anyone could just start "tracking" someone when in reality they just need to cross an ocean quickly. I think the net is a great idea, but there shouldn't be any extra abilities that merfolk hunters get when vampire and werewolf hunters have to get all their water breathing on their own and such
Fair argument, however, the whole race lives underwater and will rarely be on land in their own favour. What abilities do you think the trackers would give for ww's or vamp hunters?

OpalescentHearts

Another cool addition could be a sort of ability (If possible) where over time the merfolk become stronger swimmers allowing them to swim or even stand/float in the bubbles that drag you down created by magma blocks
So lets say you just starting out and you get stuck in a bunch of the bubbles well you can swim out a little faster than you average human/vampire/werewolf but its still not very fast but the more days you swim around and stay in the water you grow stronger over time so your ability to escape things like that would increase

OpalescentHearts

Another cool addition could be a sort of ability (If possible) where over time the merfolk become stronger swimmers allowing them to swim or even stand/float in the bubbles that drag you down created by magma blocks
So lets say you just starting out and you get stuck in a bunch of the bubbles well you can swim out a little faster than you average human/vampire/werewolf but its still not very fast but the more days you swim around and stay in the water you grow stronger over time so your ability to escape things like that would increase
and on top of that it would be a really cool defense mechanism
so a merperson could be trying to escape a hunter because they realized that they might not have the capabilities of fighting them at that current moment so if they manage to go through some of those bubbles it might give them a little bit better of a chance to escape the hunter
that or they could place some of them around their base as an extra layer of protection
an example of a form of base defense could be something like lets say in the kingdom i'm building I want to build a sort of river that opens up with a close-able gate to allow the merfolk a safe way to enter the kingdom/city without risking dehydration. The gate might help to keep hunters from swimming in but it wont keep them all out so I could place a few magma blocks outside of it in a way that would allow mainly the intended people to enter while helping to keep out most of the hunters so I can focus on securing the other entrances

WhiteFang

Helper
Omega
Standard
(Sorry about all the replies btw) However, regarding the leveling system, there should be ranks like vampire, but some sort of hierarchy such as alpha for werewolves. Would there be different clans within the merfolk species as there's 2 for vamp and 3 for werewolves.

OpalescentHearts

(Sorry about all the replies btw) However, regarding the leveling system, there should be ranks like vampire, but some sort of hierarchy such as alpha for werewolves. Would there be different clans within the merfolk species as there's 2 for vamp and 3 for werewolves.
That would make sense especially considering what @Fredolator said earlier about the different oceans
different climates require different adaptations so each clan would need to have different buffs depending on which clan they are and different ways to become that clan
One example could be Sirens which are generally one of the more dangerous out of all the merfolk legends
I think that they would sort of be like the bloodmoon of the merfolk
I'll try and come up with ideas on different clans, buffs, etc
like how lets say that specific ones are more adapted to the colder oceans they would have a sort of advantage/buff that has something to do with that specific climate but if they were to go to the warmer waters there could be a debuff that would help balance how strong they are in water by making them generally only strong in their respective climate
and on top of that there could also be something along the lines of freshwater merfolk and saltwater merfolk where you could get buffs or debuffs based on which one your in and the amount of time your in it

OpalescentHearts

This also adds on to the fact that they could add one of the plugins that allow for ships that you can actually sail
So if they added that then it would make the merfolk experience more fun
you could be a member of a bloodthirsty race out to kill all who enter their domain (Sirens) or you could be a type of merfolk thats meant to be kind to the ocean, its creatures, and those who venture out into it as long as no harm is done to them, their clan, or the ocean itself (Sort of like the silvermane in the healing aspect as their goal would be to protect the ocean and its creatures while sort of healing it aswell)
I can't really think of a third one
but another addition in general that could add to the affect of not just the merfolk but races in general could be magic that has to do with that specific race
For the merfolks magic they could do something along the lines of the bending plugin that ive seen around but with a few different changes so it would basically be manipulating the water in different ways depending on which clan your from and the different forms of water magic as well would be affected by this
so imagine your sailing in your ship just exploring and trying to find some of the sunken ships so you can search for treasure and then suddenly the water around you starts moving and eventually some of it starts flying at you
(If you guys want I can create a post about magic for the different races so I won't get everyone off topic here but I think it would be a cool addition to look forward to as you progress through each race and the different clans)

PinkP0tato

Beta
Alpha
Standard
This also adds on to the fact that they could add one of the plugins that allow for ships that you can actually sail
So if they added that then it would make the merfolk experience more fun
you could be a member of a bloodthirsty race out to kill all who enter their domain (Sirens) or you could be a type of merfolk thats meant to be kind to the ocean, its creatures, and those who venture out into it as long as no harm is done to them, their clan, or the ocean itself (Sort of like the silvermane in the healing aspect as their goal would be to protect the ocean and its creatures while sort of healing it aswell)
I can't really think of a third one
but another addition in general that could add to the affect of not just the merfolk but races in general could be magic that has to do with that specific race
For the merfolks magic they could do something along the lines of the bending plugin that ive seen around but with a few different changes so it would basically be manipulating the water in different ways depending on which clan your from and the different forms of water magic as well would be affected by this
so imagine your sailing in your ship just exploring and trying to find some of the sunken ships so you can search for treasure and then suddenly the water around you starts moving and eventually some of it starts flying at you
(If you guys want I can create a post about magic for the different races so I won't get everyone off topic here but I think it would be a cool addition to look forward to as you progress through each race and the different clans)
To present an idea for the 3rd race, I propose that this race, unlike the sirens and the passive merfolk, there could be a race that focuses mainly on the magic idea, so instead of strength or regeneration, they could use waves or water manipulation to throw off any hunters or targets to escape, the magic wouldn't do any damage, rather slow them down to quickly get away.