Tentative Mermaid Race (updated version)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MrDutchie, Jul 17, 2017.

1. MrDutchie

MrDutchie
    Expand Collapse
    Retired Staff

FOOD
    1. Fish (all types, even puffers as they are immune to the poison, raw fish would do more for them than cooked)
    2. Kelp (dropped by squids and or found by digging in the ocean, this will be a brand new item, also serves like a fish)
    3. They can eat other stuff but it will not fill in the hunger bar as much and they could get a message saying"Ick! this doesn't taste good" depending on the food
    ADVANTAGES
    1. Breath underwater
    2. Fast underwater (You wont need depth strider)
    3. Break blocks underwater just as fast as humans do on land.
    4. See very well underwater
    5. Regens as fast as humans do when they have a full hunger bar (except mermaids do not have to have a full hunger bar, it has to be at least ¾ full)
    6. Immune to pufferfish poison
    7. Can sing to call squids to their side for help in battle or hypnotize a player leaving them slow and blinded
    8. Can drink bottle water to rehydrate themselves
    9. Raw Fish adds up 6 hunger (3 hunger tokens)
    10. Truce with guardians

DISADVANTAGES

1. Cannot stay out of the water long without getting nausea, slowness, and eventually burning, this will be during day.
    2. Can be damaged more in water by other races using the "Solar Sword", this is crafted by using a stone sword surrounded by yellow dye.
    3. Sitting under a block would keep them cool but they would still need water or else they would get nausea
    4. Bottled water works but you would have to carry a lot
    5. when you start burning, you will need 4 water bottles to fully rehydrate yourself.
    6. On land you will gain slowness 1 or 2
    7. Take more damage when out of the water especially without armor because of Weakness 1/2. This instandly vanishes when you get back in water.
    8. Cooked Fish adds up 2 hunger, and the other food adds up 1.
    9. Mining Fatigue 2 on land, but when it rains, it will turn into mining fatigue 1. Will disappear when coming into water
    10. Cannot wear normal Diamond Armor underwater, only if it has been turned into Sea Armor
    11. Cannot wear Iron Armor underwater.
    During night you will not get dehydrated.
    SPECIAL ABILITIES
    The Calling - This causes any near by squids to aid the mermaid in battle, this will last for about 10 seconds with a cooldown of 5 minutes, giving the mermaid regen 1/2 - the command is /TheCalling or /TC
    Sirens Song - hypnotizes a player giving them blindness and slowness, the effects will last for 10 seconds. with a cooldown of 2 minutes - the command is /SirensSong or /SS

SPECIAL ITEMS
    Sea Armor

Apart from kelp as a food item being more or less cactus green renamed, you could have special armor to keep mermaids/sirens from dehydrating! The armor can be called something like "Sea Armor", it would be a full set that keeps them from being dehydrated, and you can wear it underwater. Only mermaids and humans can craft it however but only mermaids can use it. The inside of the armor is designed to retain moisture being why it doesn't let them get dehydrated for hours upon end! crafted like normal armor except with a water bottle or piece of kelp added it would make it the sea armor. This armor can be dropped upon death!

Scaled Rod
    Instead of Rolo's suggestion that you could fish faster as being a mermaid, Add a new sort Rod, the Scaled Rod, crafted by using a rod surrounded by kelp. This rod only works during night.

HOW TO BECOME AND BE CURED
    To become a mermaid you need to make a potion called Sea Scales (Name is optional) you use 1 water bottle, 1 kelp, 1glow stone dust. and 1 raw fish.

To be cured you need to make a potion called Mermaid's Bane (Name is optional) which is 1 water bottle, 1 bone, 1 redstone, and 1 steak or cooked fish.

You may drink these at any time!

You do not turn instantly, but it happens fast! within 30 to 50 minuets at least.

Check your status with /MM show you can make it go faster by eating raw fish or kelp!

ALL MESSAGES AND PERCENTAGES CAN BE CHANGED! you can change what message says what, what message shows here, all that! this is only a base!

5% - no message
    10% - no message
    15% - you feel odd but in a good way
    20% - no message
    25% - You have the urge to sing by the river side
    30%- no message
    35% - For some reason you want to go in the water
    40%- no message
    45% - you crave fish but you crave them raw
    50%- no message
    55% - You feel dizzy and hot when on land
    60%- no message
    65% - Am I slower on land?
    70%- no message
    75% - Your skin feels dry and flakey
    80%- no message
    85% - you notice scales, are you seeing things!?
    90% - no message
    95% - you can hardly breath on land but just fine in water
    100% - You are now a mermaid/siren, you NEED water

This happens when transforming back to human
    5% - No message
    10% - You feel like going back to land
    15% - No message
    20% - No message
    25% - Are the scales going away!?
    30% - No message
    35% - It is getting harder to breathe underwater
    40% - No message
    45% - You want to go back to land
    50% - No message
    55% - It is getting harder to swim underwater
    60% - No message
    65% - Why does fish tastes odd?
    70% - No message
    75% - You feel like you are drowning under water
    80% - No message
    85% - Where is my tail!?
    90% - No message
    95% - Where are the scales!?
    100% - You have now been cured from being a mermaid! Enjoy your human life!

Tell me how you guys think about it now, if there are any suggestions of improvement for this race, to make it more equally to the others etc, I would like to hear them!

#1 MrDutchie, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    emi0707 and ViolaFusion like this.
  2. MrDutchie

MrDutchie
    Expand Collapse
    Retired Staff

If you guys have something to say for improvement or if something bothers you about this suggestion, leave a comment below :)

3. Brettconk

Brettconk
    Expand Collapse

I like it

MrDutchie likes this.
  4. Robotron56

Robotron56
    Expand Collapse

WOW when i heard of mermaids being added i thought "UGH great now there is gonna be a dumb race that doesn't fit". but reading this changed my mind! i wanna be a merman, and i'm not a girl XD

emi0707 and MrDutchie like this.
  5. MrDutchie

MrDutchie
    Expand Collapse
    Retired Staff

For minecraft itself it is hard to decide whether you are a boy or girl, since the avatars are genderless. So I chose the name mermaids.

6. Trushi

Trushi
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Retired Staff

We are not adding them at this time. If you hear any "information" about them being added, not from a staff member, it is false and should be treated as such.

MrDutchie likes this.
  7. emi0707

emi0707
    Expand Collapse

This is the *BEST* race idea I've heard of, I love it! I can agree with Robotron, I did hate the idea because I hated mermaids, but this tells me that mermaids can be unique and fit in with the other races. I wish that it would be added ;~;

8. Moboshiro

Moboshiro
    Expand Collapse

Haha maybe call them merpeople/merfolk? For exqmple after fully transforming into one, it could say you are now apart of the merfolk, so it won't be genderized.

Another thing, for the solar rod, maybe the crafting recipe could be a stone sword in the middle, Flint and steal on top, glowstone in each corner, and the rest yellow dye, I don't think merfolk would be weakened by yellow dye itself.

I think a cool feature to have is maybe a magical item that turns you temporarily into human, maybe it could be called like "Amulet of Dehydration" or something similar, in replacement of the sea armor.

Lastly, would there be an added skin for the merpeople when underwater? Maybe like the werewolf skin, though I see a problem as the mermaid/man skins won't be assigned to the gender, unless there could be different items to become the different gender, similar to how we have the different clan skins.

MrDutchie likes this.
  9. Ecarnus

Ecarnus
    Expand Collapse

From what I can gather in this post.
    #1. This is just a modification of Vampire. Vampires can do all the following,
    #2. Adding Merfolk would unbalance the scales of the races.
    #3. The stats for Merfolk are difficult to follow. What decides where they can go? They can just pour water on the land and walk around.

Moboshiro likes this.
  10. MrDutchie

MrDutchie
    Expand Collapse
    Retired Staff

You see, you can have stats based on the biome and time, instead of on land or in water, this will make it so they will still dehydrate even if they would carry on buckets of water and pour it on the land. So they will be using bottles of water during day. And exactly how would the mermaids unbalance the other races? Since Mermaids have cons on land, and trust me, I have thought about it, and I do know the server and it's plugins very well since I play since february 2016. Another thing, vampires can not drown, simply because vampires are undead, which means they do not need oxygen to live, btu the humans and werewolfs do. The mermaids ONLY have a truce with guardians, not with the other mobs. Also, vampires will need armor with depth strider 3 to be able to mine and swim as fast as humans, werewolfs and vampires can on land. Another thing, vampires also aren't immune to pufferfish poison. So I do not know why you are comparing this to the vampire plugin since it is still different.

Greetings.

11. TheBlackCat27

TheBlackCat27
    Expand Collapse

When do you think this will be released?

12. Moboshiro

Moboshiro
    Expand Collapse

None of the staff team has confirmed it being added or accepted it.

13. Frosted_Angel

Frosted_Angel
    Expand Collapse
    Admin
    Staff Member Admin

We are not currently looking to add another race, so it may not be for some time, if ever.

This race does not currently exist and would take a literal ton of time to create, as we have only one person capable of making it. Loads of planning would be required to work out exactly what it can and cant do to balance it with other races. It would need to be rigorously tested to avoid any bugs, glitches or exploits. All of which would take a lot of time.

If/when we decide to add another race, this idea will be taken into consideration, although the name would probably be changed to Merfolk, rather than the female 'mermaid' name it currently has. Currently though, we are not thinking of adding another race.

14. oNovaOps

oNovaOps
    Expand Collapse
    Helper
    Staff Member Helper

I'm a little late to this, sorry, but personally I do think that having a 'Mermaid Race' would be a great addition to New-Heaven. Though as Frost said that there won't be any new races added, it'll be way too much of a hassle to test. But if it was confirmed to be added in, I call being the first mermaid ;)

And it'd be funny to watch vampires chase Mermaids around....

MrDutchie likes this.